Golf Expert & Banff Local Steven Young Tells Us What Makes the Fairmont Banff Springs Golf Course So Special
Breathtaking views in every direction, a captivating yet challenging layout and a one-of-kind location; it’s all here at the Fairmont Banff Springs Golf Course. Whether it’s your first time hitting the links or you’re a regular golf enthusiast, a round on the iconic Stanley Thompson-designed course is a must-do activity while you’re in Banff National Park.
We have two stunning courses for you to play on in Banff. Choose from either the Stanley Thompson 18 hole or Tunnel 9 hole. Regardless of what course you play (or if you decide to try out both!), the memories you make at our Fairmont Banff Springs Golf Course will last long after you make your final putt.
WHERE THE FAIRWAYS MEET THE MOUNTAINS
Before we get into the heritage and uniqueness of the course, let’s get started with the basics!
Stanley Thompson 18
This course winds along the Bow River under the snow-capped peaks of Sulphur Mountain and Mount Rundle.
Course Designer Stanley Thompson
Length 6,938 yards
White Slope 126, Rating 69.7
Gold Slope 133, Rating 71.3
Tunnel Mountain 9
This course was added in 1989, resulting in 27 holes of championship Alberta golf.
Course Designer Cornish and Robinson
Length 3,287 yards
White Slope 125, Rating 68.2
Gold Slope 128, Rating 70.8
Click here for more information on the courses and for some insider tips from our golf pros!
Pro Tip: While we might be the only course in Banff National Park, we’re not the only course in Canada’s western mountains. For the best in mountain golf, be sure to check out the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge and Fairmont Chateau Whistler golf courses.
OVER 100 YEARS OF GOLF HISTORY
The one and only golf course in Banff has truly stood the test of time. The original 9-hole course was first opened in 1911 and was later expanded to 18-holes in 1924. However, the course as we know it today was not created until Stanley Thompson arrived in 1927. The course clearly demonstrates Stanley Thompson’s appreciation of traditional links golf courses while emphasizing the subtleties of the surrounding mountain landscape. Since the birth of the course over 100 years ago, golfers from around the world have flocked to the incomparable Banff Springs Golf Course.
Watch the video below to learn more about the fascinating history of the Banff Springs Golf Course.
spotlight on the expert
Steven Young, Director of Golf, is the authority on all things golf in Banff National Park! The Banff Springs Golf Course is iconic for a number of reasons. Here are the top 5 things that make this place special, according to Steven:
1. The course was built in a river valley between mountains, making the scenery absolutely spectacular. The course is home to rock cliffs, a flowing river, mountain-framing greens and an abundance of wildlife.
Fun fact: The course is situated in one of the most active wildlife corridors in all of Banff National Park.
2. Banff Springs stands tall above the course, providing unparalleled views of the Scottish baronial-inspired castle.
Pro tip: Get your camera out on hole 14 to capture the best view of the castle!
3. Stanley Thompson is widely regarded as one of his era’s top golf course architects. He was said to have built the last word in golf at the Banff Springs Golf Course.
4. Fairmont Banff Springs Golf Course continually ranks as one of Canada’s top courses and is sought after by many golf enthusiasts for the challenging play as well as fans of Stanley Thompson for the one-of-a-kind design.
5. When you come to play, not only are you stepping foot onto one of the greatest courses in Canada; you’re also going to experience the legendary hospitality that Fairmont is known for. In addition to golf, there are so many other activities to do while visiting Fairmont Banff Springs from the Willow Stream Spa to private hiking excursions and divine dining!
Pro Tip: With so much to see and do in Banff, don’t rush home after your day on the links. Turn your day trip into a golf getaway and stay at the hotel! Plus, a couple nights in Banff means a few more rounds of golf! Check out the best Banff golf offers.
STAY IN TOUCH
From our best resort offers to exclusive events and deals. Sign up for our Fairmont Banff Springs e-newsletter and be the first to receive all the latest news, offers & more.