Banff Christmas Recipes – Buttermilk Cornbread
Straight from our kitchens and just in time for the holidays!
With the holidays right around the corner, the need for comfort food and delicious baked goods is here! This holiday season we’ve asked our Executive Chef – Robert Ash to come to the table (pun intended) with some of his best holiday goodies!
Below you will find his special recipe for his buttermilk cornbread – a perfect pairing to those seasonal stews.
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– 1 cup yellow cornmeal (or polenta)
– 1/4 cup brown sugar (or white granulated sugar)
– 1 teaspoon baking powder (optional: yields a fluffier cornbread)
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1 cup buttermilk shake carton before measuring
– 1/4 cup honey
– 2 large eggs
– Preheat the oven to 200C | 400F and position a rack in the middle. Lightly grease a 9-inch cast iron skillet or 9-inch square baking dish with butter and place skillet/dish into the oven to heat up.
– (Alternatively for cast iron skillets: heat 1/2 cup of un-melted butter in your cast iron over stove top on medium heat until melted, turn heat off then allow the butter to cool slightly before adding to the batter.)
– In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder (If using), baking soda and salt.
– Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk, honey and eggs. Mix together well to combine, then add in the slightly cooled melted butter. – Mix again until ‘just’ combined (don’t over mix).
– Carefully remove your ‘hot’ pan or dish from the oven with oven mitts, and pour the batter into the hot skillet or dish. Listen to that sizzle! That’s what you want.
– Bake until the cornbread begins to brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (about 20-23 minutes).
– Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
More Recipes From Our Kitchens
Looking for more holiday cooking inspiration? Check out the following recipes below:
– Apple Pudding Cake
– Banana Egg Nog French Toast
– Carrot Ginger Soup
– Organic Turkey Ravioli